Bitten by an anxious little Datschund, I was left with punctures in my calf (healing nicely with soap and water and hydrogen peroxide) and a gaping rip raveling my favorite linen summer travel pants. I was on vacation. I could cut the trousers off above the tear and hem them but I like the long capris length when it’s cool-ish and I can roll them up when it’s really hot.
First I tried a bright contrasting patch, thinking to create a funky look with Sashiko embroidery, tiny stabs (running stitches) in a contrasting hue. Maybe I could stitch an interesting design that included the shape of the hole?
It just wasn’t working for me and it called even more attention to the tear. So I removed most of the white cotton thread and bound the edges with a whip stitch and then a blanket stitch in matching thread. The pants remained in my luggage the rest of vacation while I pondered the many ways of patching to keep the appeal of these dear pants. I knew I had a collection of batik frogs about the right size in my studio.
I needed a patch that would
- cover the hole and prevent it from further raveling
- look good when pants are rolled up, too
- be fun during the repair and when wearing the modified pants
- use hues and motifs that would go with just about any top I might wear
- use materials that are already in my stash
- use only hand stitching, why not?
What a lively frog! On the inside of the pants, Shashiko style stitches around and over the design secure the patch over the tear and hold down the pinked edges. I wanted the tied thread ends to show and the edges to fray. You cans see stitches showing through to the right side above.
I stitched some embroidery on the outside patch (a scrap) to lively it up and then attached it over the hole and inside the lines that show from the inside patch. The top stays open to form a little pocket for a fragrant insect repelling herb or something secret.
I can peek inside the pocket patch to check on the tear and give it comfort from time to time, a reminder of how this all came to be.
Brown stitching from the outside patch shows on the inside patch and I think that’s just fine. Funky and homegrown is the intention here.
Rolled up, the inside patch now shows and I think it’s rather interesting. Having 3 patches on this rip makes one pant leg a tad heavier than the other. If you find me listing to one side or walking in circles please lend me your elbow and set me back on the path. A disturbing accident is now a happy patch experience and the pants are good to go again.
This was so much fun I patched a design on my worn Gramichi outdoor pants with more sashiko stitching. Take a look here.